Saturday, June 20, 2015

Gifting services not products

When gift giving becomes a "chore"or a "have to" perhaps it's time to rethink what you're giving and to whom. I love to both give and receive gifts of services. Each year as my birthday and Mother's Day approaches I ask my family to do something around the house for the day. It could be anything from mowing the backyard to dusting the China in the hutch or polishing the silverware. Any task that is helping out to make my life easier.

                        


My favorite is getting a babysitting coupon from my kiddo that allows for a night out guilt free and not a pull on my wallet. We all love to get gifts some are better than others. When a gift can be something that gives you more time it's often something that is far more cherished. In my world I have very little time. Like most of us I work a full time job, have kids, cooking and cleaning to do when I get home. It's a never ending cycle. I love being a mom and love my job, however, sometimes it would be nice to sleep in or have a night out. 


Here are a few ideas about how to gift a service rather than an item and bring others joy without breaking your bank. 

1.) Do you know a new parent? Give an evening of babysitting as a gift or an afternoon off so the mom can take a nap.
  
2.) Pet owners are parents too. Whenever I think about heading out on a vacation or even a weekend trip I have to factor in a pet sitter. Offering to take care of someone's fur baby when they travel is a wonderful gift. 

3.) Know someone in a house? Offer to care for their lawn. It's a great gift to a new homeowner or as a way to help them maintain their yard for a current resident of a home. 

Hard work is always appreciated and helpful. These are always spectacular gifts for anyone.  I know that, as a parent I love receiving gifts of service rather than a physical object or item I might receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment